blankhomeaboutthe fammy faithwhats cookinget crafty

Monday, October 22, 2012

Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies


Now that the weather is cooling off its time to bring out the hot drink! I always look forward to Ben and my ritual of sipping on a hot cup of coco, Pero or Mexican hot chocolate before we wind down for bed. I was checking our cupboards this morning making sure we were adequately stocked when the perfect storm occurred. We were currently out of treats as of the previous night and as I was dreaming of warm gooey brownies my eyes met our container of Mexican hot chocolate. And that is how these brownies were born. It was my first time making them. I knew the idea sounded good but would it translate into an edible treat? Oh yes my friends its edible!...too edible if you ask me! These brownie are sinful, rich, gooey and have an amazing something that you can't quite put your finger on...hint: its the Mexican hot chocolate with notes of warm cinnamon. Yes, this will be my new go to brownie recipe. And now it can be yours too!
For this recipe I used Ibarra Mexican hot chocolate which can be found at most large Grocery stores as well as any Mexican market. There are plenty of other brands as well so feel free to experiment!

Mexican Hot Chocolate Brownies

Ingredients;
1 pound unsalted butter
2 cups plus 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
2 circles or 6 ounces Mexican Hot Chocolate
6 large eggs
2 Tbl vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
1 Tbl baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 12x9-inch baking pan. In a  pan over medium low heat melt together 2 cups of chocolate chips, 2 whole discs of Mexican hot chocolate and butter. Once completely melted, allow to cool. In a large bowl stir together eggs, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.In a medium bowl sift together 1 cup flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips in 1/4 cup flour and add to chocolate batter. Place batter in prepared baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes; being sure not to over bake. I personally like my brownies a bit oooey goooey so I always pull them out a few minutes early when there is just a little remnant of brownie on the toothpick when inserted.  Allow to cool thoroughly before cutting. Enjoy with a large glass of milk!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips